San Diego Military Divorce
Divorce Attorneys Representing Military Members in San Diego, CA
Finding a divorce attorney who is capable of addressing military issues can be a challenge, but luckily you have come to the right place if you are looking for a military divorce lawyer. Not only do military families have to deal with the normal legal issues present in a divorce, but they also experience additional issues they must deal with, especially if they are still on active duty. Claery & Hammond, LLP represents military men and women stationed at Camp Pendleton, Miramar, Coronado, Point Loma, and all other military stations in the San Diego area.
Specific Issues of Military Divorce
There are many specific issues that affect San Diego military members and retired military personnel, including:
- Military Retirement - The military retirement benefit is often the largest asset of a divorce. Any division of the military retirement depends on a great deal of factors including other assets of the marriage, the date of separation. Contrary to common perception, the military spouse is not automatically entitled to any portion of the military retirement regardless of the duration of the marriage.
- Military Disability - Military service members are often rated for a medical disability before they leave the military. As time passes, the disability rating for military member often increases. Because the disability portion of the retirement cannot directly be divided by the military, the disability can have a profound effect on the payments, if any, made to the spouse after the divorce.
- Spousal Support/Alimony - The spouse of a military member can request a significant payment above and beyond the child support payment. The payments can represent a significant portion of the service member's military or retirement pay and last for years depending.
- Child Custody - When it comes to active military members and custody cases, there is an understandable fear that pending or current deployment could affect your ability to win custody of your children. You need a skilled family law attorney who understands the laws surrounding your military custody case and your rights as a parent in the military.
- Child Support - The child support for a military member can constitute a large portion of the military pay. Child support is designed to benefit the child not the custodial parent. Therefore, child support should not be disguised as form of maintenance.
Contact a Military Divorce Firm in San Diego
At Claery & Hammond, LLP, it is the goal of our San Diego military divorce lawyers to carefully listen and to deliver quality legal services for whatever family issue our clients are facing. If you or your spouse is a member of the U.S. military, then contact our firm today to speak with an experienced divorce attorney and find out what we can do to help.
Why You Want Us
Committed to Each & Every Case
On Your Side
We Provide Unique, Tailor-Made Solutions for Each Client
Powerful Advocacy for Every Single Client
We Offer a Free Initial Case Consultation
Our Team Has Over 50 Years of Combined Experience
Personalized, One-on-One Representation
Experienced in All Areas of Family Law & Divorce