How Do I Serve Divorce Papers in California?

If you have filed a petition to divorce your spouse, the next crucial step of this process is to notify your spouse through a formal service of divorce papers. Keep in mind that merely telling your spouse about the divorce filing isn’t adequate – you also can’t serve divorce papers yourself.

A lot of people understandably believe that they can serve their spouses divorce papers themselves. It might seem like the easiest option when spouses are still living together, know where each other works, or understand each other’s routine. Unfortunately, though, service must be conducted by a third party not involved in the divorce.

Who Can Serve Divorce Papers?

Beyond the requirements that someone must be at least 18 years old and not involved in the divorce case, there isn’t much restriction on who can serve divorce papers.

A server can be any of the following people:

  • Relative
  • Friend
  • Coworker
  • Police officer
  • Professional process server
  • Any other legal adult who isn’t you

Should I Hire a Professional Process Server?

Professional process servers exist because they can simplify the service of divorce papers. They are an objective third-party, so they may not have the same level of apprehension or a conflict of interest that could stall a friend or relative.

Professional process servers also typically understand the law as it relates to serving legal documents. This can reduce the likelihood of a technical error occurring during the service of divorce papers, which can force you to restart the process.

How Your Attorney Can Help

Our divorce attorneys at Claery & Hammond, LLP appreciate the importance of properly serving divorce papers. Choosing our legal team means you can benefit from experienced, professional legal counsel on how to handle all aspects of your divorce – including the service of divorce papers.

For more information on what our firm can do for you on this or any other important legal matter, contact us online today!