Can I Change My Divorce Settlement after It’s Finalized?

When a divorce is finalized, many people believe this means that everything in the agreement is set in stone. This may not always be the case.

It’s not uncommon for people to think that there’s no way to change the terms of a divorce judgment, even when circumstances significantly change how these terms impact the lives of either or both ex-spouses. If the supposed finality of a divorce agreement concerns you, perhaps knowing that things can change may offer some peace of mind.

What Is a Post-Judgment Modification?

Post-judgment modifications are changes to a divorce agreement that occurs after a judge has finalized the divorce. In most cases, post-judgment modifications concern issues like visitation, child custody, spousal support, and child support, but they can also involve other factors, such as property division.

When either party seeks to change any part of the divorce agreement after finalizing the divorce, they must have a good reason for doing so.

Common reasons why post-judgment modifications are needed include the following:

  • A parent must relocate for their job
  • A spouse has experienced a job loss or decrease in income
  • One spouse’s earnings have significantly increased
  • The cost of caring for children has increased as a result of a medical issue or similar type of event

If you think you could benefit from a post-judgment modification, there’s a good rule of thumb to go by: If new circumstances make the terms of your divorce agreement exceedingly difficult or impossible to uphold, you should discuss this with an attorney who can help.

At Claery & Hammond, LLP, our attorneys are prepared to help clients deal with issues concerning post-judgment modifications. Whether you are seeking one or need to fight against one, our team of attorneys can respond with the legal support you need.

Learn more about how Claery & Hammond, LLP can help by contacting us online today!